Friday 26 September 2008

AC/DC Resist The Future Of Music

Whilst roaming around the internet looking for the latest music news, and amongst the latest tour dates and album releases it seems AC/DC have lost their minds.

AC/DC at present do not have any of their back catalogue on iTunes available for download, instead they are sticking to CDs.

Angus Young (guitarist) told the Telegraph; "We believe the songs on any of our albums belong together. If we were on iTunes, we know a certain percentage of people would only download two or three songs from the album. We don't think that represents us musically."

Now don't get me wrong, I agree that all songs on an album belong together. But I have three AC/DC albums and none of which would I consider a 'concept' album, it is perfectly possible to listen to one song and enjoy it without missing the backstory. However there are bands who do produce concept albums and have the songs individually listed on iTunes to download, these include; The Mars Volta, Mastodon and even Pink Floyd. If you were to download the Pink Floyd classic 'Another Brick In The Wall Part.2' then you not only have you missed out on parts 1 and 3 but the rest of 'The Wall' album. On the other hand, if you downloaded the infamous AC/DC track 'Highway To Hell' you wouldn't miss out on it's meaning or relevance to the rest of the album.

Mr. Young went on to say; "Since iTunes came into existence, we've actually increased our back catalogue sales without being on the site". Now this may be the case, but I don't think many new people have been introduced to their music. I tend to download songs from iTunes to see what a band is like - it's only 79p - but if I walk into HMV I don't spend £10 on an album that I might not like. I'm pretty positive the sales AC/DC have attributed are from present AC/DC fans, not music lovers looking for something new.

If AC/DC want to keep a fanbase and expand on it in the future then using the internet is the way forward. They have an album coming out on October 20th and I can guarantee only current AC/DC fans will buy it.
Picture Reference: http://www.virginmedia.com

No comments: